Hatton Strike Not Enough As Dons Draw Again

Wimbledon 1 v Swindon 1

Sam Hatton's early goal wasn't enough to give Wimbledon a win on Saturday (19 November) as they extended their drawing sequence with a 1-1 tie against Swindon Town at Kingsmeadow.

It is now five draws in a row for Terry Brown's men, but they created enough chances to win this encounter against Paulo Di Canio's much-fancied side.

They were at the visitors from the off, with the pace of Ryan Jackson and Christian Jolley down the flanks causing the Swindon defence difficulties.

Just two minutes were on the clock when Jackson was played in by Rashid Yussuff and his cross fell invitingly for Jack Midson but the normally reliable frontman's effort went over the bar.

But just four minutes later and the Dons were in the lead. The Dons won two corners in quick succession and when the second was only partially cleared it fell to Hatton. His effort lacked power but it took a deflection that left Wes Foderingham wrong-footed and nestled into the back of the net.

And the Dons nearly made it two as they continued to press forward with relentless enthusiasm, Foderingham expertly tipping over Midson's backwards header from a Hatton corner.

After that initial Wimbledon pressure the game developed into an end-to-end affair, with Seb Brown having to be alert to pull off three top-drawer saves from Alan Connell, Jake Jervis and Matt Ritchie.

Yet before half-time Brett Johnson came close to extending the Dons' lead when he reacted quickest to a loose ball but his goal-bound effort was blocked by Alan McCormack.

And there was still time before the break for the Wimbledon defence to be subjected to a goalmouth scramble during which Brown pulled off reflex saves from Jervis and Connell before the ball was scrambled to safety.

The second period marked a shift in the balance of play, with Swindon holding the upper hand in terms of possession but both sides still looking capable of scoring.

Johnson saw a thumping header turned away by Foderingham, but it was at the other end that a second goal nearly came, first with McCormack heading over from a corner, and then Connell's shot was going miles wide before taking a deflection onto the post.

Swindon's equaliser finally came with just over quarter of an hour remaining to play. Paul Caddis played a ball into the box and, following a melee, it fell kindly for Connell who blasted home.

The Dons responded, with Aden Flint denying Midson the chance to restore the home side's lead and Foderingham again in action to expertly tip over Ricky Wellard's long-range effort.

Right at the death Swindon were furious when Caddis went tumbling inside the box under Midson's challenge, but the referee awarded a free-kick to the Dons and booked Caddis for simulation.

But ultimately it was a fair point for both sides in a game that could have swung either way.

The Dons will be hoping to finally clinch a win when they travel to Scunthorpe for their FA Cup replay on Tuesday night (22 November), with the winners facing a trip to League Two strugglers Bradford City.

Attendance: 4,581

Wimbledon: Brown, Hatton, Bush, S. Moore, Johnson, McNaughton, Yussuff, Wellard, Midson, Jolley (Mulley 43), Jackson (Minshull 71). Subs not used: L. Moore, Turner, Porter.

Goalscorer: Hatton 6.

Booked: Midson 22, Bush 86, S. Moore 90.

Swindon: Foderingham, Caddis, Ridehalgh, Flint, McCormack, Risser (J. Smith 72), Ritchie (Esajas 67), Ferry, Connell, De Vita (Gabilondo 41), Jervis. Subs not used: P. Smith, Kennedy.

Goalscorer: Connell 73.

Booked: Ridehalgh 29, Caddis 89.

By Rob Crane

www.wimbledonsw19.com are the proud sponsors of Marcus Gayle's away kit

November 21, 2011