Dons' Pot Luck Runs Out In Paint Trophy

Swindon 1 v Wimbledon 1 (Swindon win 3-1 on penalties)

Wimbledon missed out on progressing to the southern semi-final of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy after a penalty shoot-out defeat against Swindon Town on Tuesday (8 November).

Rashid Yussuff's second-half equaliser against the run of play had forced the game to go to spot kicks, but the Dons were unable to replicate their shoot-out success of the previous round when they beat Stevenage.

The Dons were boosted by the return of Fraser Franks to the starting line-up after a lengthy injury absence and a successful loan spell at Hayes & Yeading.

And Franks and his defensive colleagues were given plenty of work to do as the home side enjoyed the better of the possession throughout the majority of the game.

Alan Connell had two good chances for the home side, shooting over after just five minutes and then having a chance at full-stretch that was safely collected by Seb Brown.

And Brown was again in action to deny Connell after 37 minutes, palming away the former Grimsby man's clever back header.

But the Dons had openings of their own, with James Mulley skying one effort and Jack Midson shooting straight at goalkeeper Phil Smith with the first-half approaching its end.

Connell again went close, as did Swindon substitute Etienne Esajas with two efforts in the space of as many minutes, before the home side took the lead after 68 minutes, Oliver Risser capitalising after a Wimbledon defensive clearance fell kindly for him to fire home from outside the box.

Esajas saw another long-range effort hit the bar, and it was somewhat against the run of play when Yussuff's determination saw the Dons equalise with eight minutes remaining.

The midfielder cut in from the right flank, playing one-twos with both Lee Minshull and Charles Ademeno. His shot from the edge of the area deflected off a Town defender and fell kindly for Lee Minshull, whose low cross ballooned up off Smith and allowed Yussuff's persistence to be rewarded with a close-range tap-in.

The Dons were immediately under pressure in the shoot-out, as Minshull and Ricky Wellard missed the Dons' first two attempts. With Swindon scoring all three of theirs, Fraser Franks kept the Dons in the tie by converting his effort, but Chris Bush missed to send Swindon through.

The Dons continue in cup action on Saturday (12 November) when they host Scunthorpe United in the FA Cup First Round, before returning to league action on 19 November when they get a quick chance to turn the tables on Swindon.

Attendance: 4,329

Swindon: Smith, Caddis, Flint, Devera, Ridehalgh, Ritchie (Esajas 57), Ferry, Risser, De Vita, Connell, Kerrouche (Magera 63 (Gabilonda 73)). Subs not used: Kennedy, McCormack.

Goalscorer: Risser 68.

Wimbledon: Brown, Stuart, Wellard, Midson (Porter 61), Jolley (Ademeno 46), Bush, Franks (L. Moore 68), Djilali (Minshull 61), McNaughton, Yussuff, Mulley. Subs not used: Turner, Ademeno.

Goalscorer: Yussuff 82.

Booked: Bush 47.

By Rob Crane are the proud sponsors of Marcus Gayle's away kit

November 10, 2011