Opponents criticse the council's new facilities
The new multi-use sports area in Dundonald Rec have been opened in time for the Easter break so families can take full advantage of the new tennis and netball courts.
Details of times the courts will be open to the public are on Merton council's website: www.merton.gov.uk/dundonald-updates.
A new public playground opening was opened last month. The courts as well all the preparation for the improvement works for the forthcoming expansion of Dundonald Primary School and new pavilion are included in the council's £467,000 investment in the Rec.
The next phase of the works will now begin including the controversial school extension and replacement of the pavilion. The final stage will see the multi-use sports area and the playground extended by a third when the old pavilion is replaced.
Leader of Merton Council Councillor Stephen Alambritis said: "It's great to see these new courts open in time for the holidays. Along with the bright new playground that has already seen good use, the new sports area demonstrates our commitment to the Rec and its long-term future as a place for families to enjoy."
But a spokesman for Dundonald Rec Tennis Club, a long-standing opponent of the school expansion and associated changes in the Rec, said the new courts did not improve the facilities on offer to the public.
Chair Dr Ernest Pinto said: "They called the development "improved facilties", but have never admitted that the new public tennis courts would be on a school playground. There is a high fence and a locked gate which will only be opened outside of school hours on pre-payment of £7 per hour. No rational person would consider this an "improvement" in public sports facilties".
He said Sport England is being investigated by the Parliamentary Ombudsman for "13 claims of wrongdoing" in relation to its role in the council's Dundonald Rec project.
April 1, 2015