Firefighters Called To Blaze In Former Wimbledon Bank Used As A Squat

Thought to be caused by duvet being left too close to a halogen heater

Barclays Bank building

Six fire engines and around 40 firefighters were called to a fire at a derelict bank being used as a squat on Morden Road in South Wimbledon.


Part of the first floor was damaged by the blaze, which was believed to be accidental and caused by a duvet left too close to a halogen heater.


Station Commander Stephen-Remell Coleman, who was at the scene, said: “Around 17 people left the building before fire crews arrived. Thankfully there were no injuries.”


The brigade was called at 2.36pm on Thursday (March 5) and the fire was under control by 3.43pm. Fire crews from Wimbledon, Mitcham, Tooting, Wandsworth, Norbury and West Norwood fire stations were at the scene.

March 10, 2020