Work To Be Done For Wimbledon RFC Despite Comfortable Win

Rugby result: Wimbledon 42 v Sidcup 19

London & SE Premier League, 25 January

Wimbledon gave the coaching staff things to work on when they dropped two of the first three kick-offs that they received from Sidcup. However attacks were mounted when they had possession and the first try for hooker Josh Forrester came from a lineout drive after seven minutes, the conversion from near the touchline for outside half Steve Boatman was a success.

But this was undone shortly afterwards when a big gap in midfield was exploited by Sidcup’s wing Andre Patterson who scored in the corner, the conversion attempt was missed. Wimbledon hit back immediately when a lineout taken by lock Jack Cooke was passed down the line and the sheer pace of wing Ollie Kitto saw him score from 45 metres into the righthand corner, Boatman’s excellent conversion followed and after 14 minutes the score was 14 – 5 to the home team.

A strong scrum following Sidcup’s kickoff showed Wimbledon pushing the Sidcup pack off the ball, but shortly afterwards a Sidcup forward was penalised for a no-arms tackle and Boatman increased the lead with the penalty kick. Sidcup were finding the interplay between Boatman, Jack Reville and Tom Milner in the Wimbledon centres hard to cope with and the half closed with Wimbledon leading 17 – 5.

The second half opened with a strong attack from Wimbledon no.8 Kane Alboni who later in the half switched to outside half after Boatman had left the field, to be replaced by lock Alex Campbell, and the pack being reorganised. Alboni kept to the plan of strong running at the Sidcup defence when in possession. The immediate event was a further penalty, this too was kicked and extended the lead, but what Wimbledon were pushing for were more tries for the bonus point and then Kitto scored his second from inside his own half on 46 minutes after a burst of extreme pace. This Boatman was unable to convert from the touch line but eight minutes later another big charge from Alboni followed by replacement Josh Charles saw him offload to Cooke who scored to take the score to 30 – 5 and secure the bonus point, Boatman converted.

Two minutes later a kick through and chase saw three Wimbledon players in a line challenging each other to score and Boatman actually did the deed and then added the extras. With the final quarter now starting Sidcup were able to take some possession and a score came for their centre Luka Syplywczak and soon converted by Joshua Twyford, even then the scoring continued with a try for Sidcup who were then prompted to seek their own try bonus. 

Wimbledon’s defence was strong and the final act was a surge from the Wimbledon team down the field following a penalty kick to the corner and a forward drive over the line.  In the pile of bodies, the score was confirmed as being from fullback Freddie Hooper with an unsuccessful conversion attempt at the end of the match. Despite shipping 19 points, the six tries scored all makes for very entertaining rugby and a treat for the spectators to watch. 

Next Saturday Wimbledon will be away at Rochford Hundred, with a 2.30pm kick-off.

January 31, 2020

Related links
Related Links

Wimbledon RFC

Wimbledon RFC logo