Wimbledon RFC Overwhelm Lowly Colchester

Wimbledon 62 v Colchester 7

National League 3 South

This was an excellent exhibition of 15 man rugby by Wimbledon which yielded 10 tries against Colchester, the majority of whose losses so far this season have only been by narrow margins. But with Dons’ forwards running and passing like backs, and the backs piling into rucks as if it were their role in life, Colchester were simply overwhelmed, despite holding their own in the set pieces and with a lively three-quarter line.

The first of the succession of tries came within a minute of kick-off, when wing Tommy Moore ripped the ball from his opposite number to run in unopposed. Stand-off Bryan Croke calmly landed the first of his six conversions. Centre Aaron Lowe got the second try after backing up a lovely run by wing Josh Charles. Then just seven minutes in, the half back pairing of Rhys Morgan and Bryan Croke – who controlled the game throughout – produced try no.3, the latter touching down after Morgan had sliced through the smallest of gaps.

Five minutes later a rare lapse in Wimbledon’s defence allowed Colchester centre Brett Cutbush in for a try, converted by David Higgins. But it was a brief respite; Dons’ debut prop Phil Viane then gathered the ball from a ruck and bulldozed his way 30m to the line for try no.4, swatting off defenders en route.

Then a dummy by Croke – which fooled most of the spectators as well as Colchester’s centres – opened a gap through which Dons’ centre Jack Reville sped through for the fifth try. The captain, lock Dylan Flashman, rounded off the half with a strong run through the visitor’s defence to score the sixth after a fine forward drive. It took the half time score to 40-7.

The pack also produced try no.7 ten minutes into a slightly scrappy period of the game, when a powerful drive ended with lock Sean Renwick touching down. Another fine run down the touchline by Charles, and some neat inter-passing with number 8 Roy Godfrey, saw the wing dive in for the eighth try. The ninth followed immediately when slick passing after another Morgan break gave Moore the chance to run in his second try. Then the pack got the last in the dying seconds, with replacement prop Ben Brooks scoring after another power drive from a lineout.

The spectators will look forward to another enjoyable exhibition of running rugby away at Chichester next week.

November 21, 2016