Shooting takes place in Wimbledon during "pre-planned" operation
A second man has been charged after an incident in which another man was shot by police in Wimbledon during what the Met described as a “pre-planned operation” into cash in transit robberies.
The incident happened at about 8.10am on Monday (December 3) in Lacock Close, near Haydons Road. It is understood the men had been aiming to rob a cash transit van near the Sainsbury store in Haydons Road.
During the course of the Met's "proactive operation", Brooklyn McFarlane, aged 23, of St John's Drive, Earlsfield, was shot by police and was taken by ambulance to hospital. His condition was not said to be life-threatening and he was later arrested for conspiracy to rob.
A suspected stolen car was recovered at the scene.
Abdirahman Mohomad Omar, 23, also of St Johns Drive, Earlsfield, was charged the same day. He was kept in custody before appearing at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday (December 4). They remanded him in custody to appear before Kingston Crown court on December 21.
McFarlane, who was shot during the incident, was discharged from hospital on Tuesday and, following an appearance before Wimbledon Magistrates the following day, was bailed to appear before Kingston Crown court on Wednesday (December 5).
A number of roads in the area, including Haydons Road, were closed for more than 24 hours while a forensic investigation took place (see picture below).
The Met said in a statement: “A proactive operation was conducted by officers from the Met’s Flying Squad assisted by firearms officers. During the course of the operation, one man was shot by police.
“He has been taken by London Ambulance Service to a London hospital. We await an update on his condition. A second man has been arrested for conspiracy to rob.
“The Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards have been informed. The Independent Office for Police Conduct has launched an independent investigation.”
December 6, 2018