Wimbledon Jogger Thanks Police Life-Savers

Rosie was seriously injured after early morning collision

A jogger who was seriously injured after she was involved in a collision with a car in Wimbledon has thanked the police officers who saved her life.

Rosie Mowbray, aged 24, was running along Durnsford Road at 6.20am on November 11 when she attempted to cross the junction at Arthur Road and was involved in a collision with a Smart car.

The impact of the collision sent Rosie, from Merton Road, Wandsworth, hurtling into the air before landing in the middle of the road.

PCs Jonny Greenfield and James Hutchinson, response team officers based at Merton, were called to the team. When they arrived, they found Rosie, a recent graduate of the University of the Arts London, lying in the middle of the road with vehicles still trying to drive through the junction around her.

PC Greenfield immediately positioned the response vehicle they had arrived in front of the oncoming traffic to protect Rosie and requested further units to assist them with securing the scene.

His colleague, PC Hutchinson began closing off some of the junctions and called upon a member of the public who was driving a lorry to use his vehicle to block the junction to offer temporary protection for emergency staff.

Paramedic Roland Spencer arrived on scene to treat Rosie and PC Greenfield assisted him, collecting emergency equipment from his vehicle and maintaining Rosie's airways and spine whilst the paramedic prepared his equipment and began to assess her.

Following this PC Chris Clack arrived on scene and assisted the officers in securing the cordons and identifying witnesses.

Due to the nature of Rosie's injuries the air ambulance were called and arrived on scene.
PC Greenfield assisted further along with PC Clack by pinning Rosie's leg straight in order to maintain blood flow, prevent further injury and to free up the consultant from the air ambulance crew to assist the other medical staff in bracing her spine and placing her into a medical induced coma.

Once Rosie was stabilised, the air ambulance consultant was able to take over from PCs Greenfield and Clack to splint her ankle.

When Rosie was placed in the ambulance, PCs Greenfield and Clack were able to search through her belongings and identify her next of kin via her mobile phone.

Rosie, an advertising product coordinator, was taken to St George's hospital with life-threatening injuries including multiple head injuries, a chest injury, a fractured shoulder blade, a fractured pelvis, a broken right leg and a displaced right ankle.

She was placed in intensive care and was unable to communicate for several weeks. Now no longer in intensive care, Rosie is making steady progress and re-learning to walk again, she remains in rehabilitation.

The driver of the vehicle, a 51-year-old man, stopped at the scene and attended a South West London Police Station where he was interviewed under caution. Enquiries are ongoing.

PC James Hutchinson said: "Being the operator of the first car arriving on scene, I quickly realised how serious this incident was and that our actions could make a real difference and I'm glad that they did."

"Jonny took it upon himself to move our response car to prevent any traffic coming towards us and Rosie, I instructed the driver of the large truck to block the road from the other direction so it could give everyone, including Rosie a safe area to be in so the paramedics could continue to treat her."

"Whilst doing this I asked for the rest of the night duty team to turn out. I secured witnesses and implemented the road closures and awaited the arrival of the rest of our team at the time.

"I am very pleased that Rosie is progressing well and I know that all officers who attended in any way shape or form have taken a real interest in how she is doing. It was an honour to meet such a strong and resilient young lady who has shown strength and courage to pull through from such a horrendous incident."

PC Jonny Greenfield said: "After a long night duty this was a very traumatic event to end a shift on but I am pleased that I was able to assist the LAS and air ambulance crew that day in order to help save Rosie's life; giving her every possible chance to make a full recovery. I have followed Rosie's progress and this is one of those moments in my police career that makes me proud to be a police officer, knowing that the training the Met has given me has enabled me to help Rosie."

PC Chris Clack added: "I am very happy that Rosie is making a good recovery and its nice to hear that the hard work and compassion that my colleagues and I put in, in such stressful circumstances has paid off for Rosie."

Roland, a paramedic based in Wimbledon for almost 13 years, said: “When I arrived on scene, I could see Rosie was in a very poor condition and we needed to act as quickly as possible."

“I asked the police officers to help me as I was very busy attending to her. I asked them to get me blankets and equipment and make the area safe."

“I was very grateful for the help of the police officers at the scene and I’m glad to hear Rosie has made a good recovery.”

Adrian Mowbray, Rosie's father, said: "We, as a family would like to express our heartfelt thanks to all who attended and helped that day. We would also like to pass on our thanks to the staff at St George's Hospital who have also been outstanding in their care and dedication. We cannot thank them all enough."

Dr Colette Griffin, clinical lead for traumatic brain injury at St George's Hospital, was Rosie's consultant neurologist during her admission:

"We are all delighted to see the incredible improvement that Rosie has made. Her injuries were very severe indeed, and at every stage in her recovery she has impressed us with the speed of her recovery.

"Her family have been incredibly supportive and have been with her every step of what must have been a terrible journey for them. I am pleased to say that the recovery that is possible with traumatic brain injury patients never ceases to amaze me."

June 1, 2015

Related links
Related Links

Rosie and her family with officers who helped save her life