Archaeologists working on Merton Priory Chapter site
New excavations on the Merton Priory Chapter House site have revealed previously hidden remains, including the south transept of the Priory itself.
Museum of London Archaeology (MOLA) have recently completed the excavation of a number of archaeological evaluation trenches across the historic site, off Merantun Way, and the removal of sand from within the Chapter House remains.
The trenches revealed the flint foundations of the Priory's east range wall, the southern cloister wall, the robbed wall of the south range and the south transept of the Priory itself.
The work is being carried out by architectural practice Haverstock at the request of Merton Council and the Merton Priory Trust.
It is hoped to show finds in a new light and expose these previously hidden remains to the public. The trenches are now backfilled to protect them for future display.
From 1117 until the dissolution in 1538, Merton Priory was one of the country's biggest and most influential monastic houses.
By 2017 new facilities and amenities will be provided at the site to improve visitor comfort whilst increasing the potential for the Chapter House to be made available for events, functions and performances. It is currently only open on rare occasions.
For further information on the project as well as a plan of the original Priory layout click here.
August 15, 2014