Man Rescued From South Wimbledon Flat Blaze

Unattended candle thought to be the cause

Firefighters had to rescue a man from the window of his burning South Wimbledon flat on Thursday (January 17).

He was rescued from the flat in Abbey Road at 5.25pm after 20 firefighters from Wimbledon and Tooting were called to attend.

The blaze, which was thought to have been caused by an unattended candle, was engulfing the third floor flat and he had to be rescued by ladder through his window.

The fire was extinguished within 20 minutes and the man was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene, but not seriously injured.

January 18, 2013