Random Attacker Gets Life For Murder Of University Lecturer

Daniel Young was stabbed to death as he walked to Morden tube

A man who randomly attacked and stabbed a university lecturer to death as he walked to Morden tube has been sentenced to life imprisonment.

Mark Loveridge (pictured below), aged 39, of Borough Road, Mitcham, was sentenced to life imprisonment at the Old Bailey to serve a minimum of 30 years. He was also sentenced to five years for GBH on a second man, which will run concurrently.

Mark Loveridge

He had previously pleaded guilty to manslaughter following the death of 30-year-old university lecturer Daniel Young.

Loveridge also pleaded guilty of causing grievous bodily harm with intent to another man. His pleas were accepted to these offences and not murder on the grounds of diminished responsibility.

Loveridge was also sentenced to a hospital order under section 45a of the Mental Health Act.

The last moments of Daniel (pictured below) were seen on CCTV images showing as he walked to Morden tube station on the way to work.

Daniel Young

He was heading for his second day in a new job as a teaching fellow at Coventry University's London campus. He previously been the General Manager of the Antoinette Hotel in Wimbledon Broadway for many years.

Detective Chief Inspector Tom Dahri, from the Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: "Loveridge has today been sentenced for a lengthy period of time, which is only right following his unprovoked attack on Daniel and the second man."

Police were called shortly after 8am on Tuesday, 19 January to reports of an injured man in Kendor Gardens, SW19.

Officers, the London Ambulance Service and London's Air Ambulance attended and found Daniel, who was pronounced dead at the scene.

A post-mortem examination held at St George's Hospital found the cause of death to be a stab wound.

Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime Command launched an investigation and quickly established that another man had been stabbed on nearby Lewis Road approximately 30 minutes before Daniel was murdered.

The 23-year-old man suffered stab wounds to his buttocks and was taken to a south London hospital for treatment.

Loveridge, who was arrested on Tuesday, 26 January, was charged with murder and causing grievous bodily harm two days later.

Three other men were arrested as part of the ongoing investigation.

One of these men was also arrested on suspicion of making a hoax call to police in relation to a third stabbing that he alleged took place on Morden High Street. Officers attended the alleged scene but no victim or evidence that a stabbing had taken place was found.

All three were later released with no further action.

November 6, 2017