March To Mark Labour's Wimbledon Centenary


Commemorative event to take place in the town centre

It’s 100 years since a meeting was convened by the Wimbledon District Trades and Labour Council which set up the Wimbledon, Merton and Morden Labour Party.

To commemorate the event, there will be a march (along the pavement) starting at 6pm on Friday (April 6) from St Andrew’s Church Hall in Herbert Road, where the inaugural meeting was held, to William Morris House where the Wimbledon Labour Party has its current headquarters.

At William Morris House there will be a short illustrated presentation of the origins and history of Wimbledon Labour Party followed by a speech from Labour’s Prospective parliamentary candidate Jackie Schneider. Those attending will receive a commemorative brochure outlining Labour’s 100 year history in Wimbledon.

  • On 6 April 1918, at St Andrew’s Church Hall, a meeting was convened by the Wimbledon District Trades and Labour Council which set up the Wimbledon, Merton and Morden Labour Party. 
  • Founding members included workers from William Morris’s Merton Abbey Works;  the Reverend Drew Roberts, Vicar of St Andrews; Rose Lamartine Yates (Dorset Hall, 152 Kingston Road SW19); Tom Braddock (7 The Green, Wimbledon Common, SW19), and George Savage (75 Richmond Road, SW20). 
  • At the meeting, Mr E T Dennis (7 Woodside SW19) moved a motion (seconded by Councillor Everitt, 89 Gladstone Road, SW19) to set up the Wimbledon, Merton and Morden Labour Party.  George Hawtin (28 Worple Road, SW19) was elected Secretary.

April 1, 2018