Tot Dies After "Choking On Jelly Cube" At Wimbledon Nursery

Toddler is found unconscious on the floor, inquest hears

Toddler Tiya Chauhan died after "choking on a jelly cube" at a Wimbledon nursery, an inquest has heard.

The 22-month-old girl was found lying unconscious on the floor of the Dicky Birds Nursery in Dundonald Road on August 23, 2012.

The ambulance service was called and paramedics found a raw jelly cube in her airway, the inquest heard. She died the next day at St George's Hospital in Tooting.

Her father Dipa Chauhanan, from Graham Road, Wimbledon, told the inquest in Westminster that when he dropped her off at the nursery she was "smiling and quite happy".

The inquest, which is expected to last two weeks, was told that there were 11 members of staff working that morning, looking after 30 children aged up to four.

July 10, 2014