Picture released of man being hunted
Police hunting an attacker who fled after an horrific Wimbledon burglary have released the name and picture of a Polish man they are hunting.
Oskar Pawlowichz (right), aged 29, is wanted in connection with the attack on Dr Paul Kohler.
The 55-year-old suffered life-changing injuries after four masked men burst into his home in Kings Road, near Wimbledon town centre, at around 10pm last Monday (August 11).
Police attended within a matter of minutes and apprehended and arrested two suspects, aged in their late 20s, at the scene.
Two further suspects made off on foot. One of them headed in the direction of Wimbledon town centre. It is not known which direction the fourth man headed in.
Police now say they are looking for Pawlowichz, who is 6ft tall, and of a stocky build. He is bow-legged and walks with a limp. Pawlowichz was born in Tarnow, southern Poland, and has links to numerous areas in south London.
Officers believe that Pawlowichz is the same man who appeared in previously issued CCTV footage, which showed a man fleeing the scene across the car park behind New Wimbledon Theatre.
The footage, which was taken about a minute after the attack, depicts a panicked suspect fleeing through the car park, at a point where he is removing surgical gloves which were worn during the crime.
This is the last moment he is picked up on CCTV.
Detective Inspector Dan O'Sullivan, of Merton Burglary Squad, said: "We are calling for members of the public, in particular the Polish community, to assist us in tracing Pawlowichz's whereabouts.
"We believe that he may make an attempt to flee from the UK to Poland, and at present we are in direct liaison with the Polish authorities, UK Borders Agency and Interpol and a co-ordinated effort to detain Pawlowichz is underway."
Officers have also made a third arrest in connection with the enquiry.
A 30-year-old man was arrested early today (August 18) on Garratt Lane in Wandsworth on suspicion of Aggravated Burglary. He is currently in custody at a South London police station pending further investigation.
One 32-year-old man has already been charged in connection with the investigation. He appeared at Wimbledon Magistrates Court charged with GBH and aggravated burglary last Wednesday (August 13).
And a 23-year-old man was charged with Grevious Bodily Harm and aggravated burglary when he appeared at Wimbledon Magistrates last Thursday (August 14).
Both men of those men are due at appear at Kingston Crown court on August 23.
Officers are also keen to speak to anyone who saw a silver Volkswagen two-door cabriolet style car which was believed to have been used by the suspects.
They understand that just before 10pm, Dr Kohler, Head of Law at London University's School of Oriental and African Studies, opened the front door to three men who entered his home. All had their faces concealed.
One of the suspects then violently assaulted him, whilst they repeatedly shouted:"Where's the money?"
His 50-year-old wife was then threatened by the remaining two men who attempted to tape her down to a chair.
Their daughter, aged in her 20s, and another adult male who were upstairs during the incident were able to call 999 for help.
The injured man is currently in a South London hospital receiving treatment for multiple facial injuries and bruising to the body and limbs. He is undergoing surgery and treatment for a fractured eye socket and his condition is described as life changing.
It is understood that a number of personal items were stolen from the address, some of which have been recovered, as they were discarded by the suspects. A large kitchen knife was recovered near the scene.
CCTV of Wimbledon Burglary Suspect
DI O'Sullivan said after the CCTV was issued: "This new piece of CCTV is crucial in the identification of one of the outstanding suspects, and we are calling to anyone who recognises this man to come forward.
"It is my firm belief that this man and his other outstanding associate, would have been stained with blood spatter from the violent attack inside the house. Both were also wearing white surgical gloves when they fled. Whilst they attempted a quick exit, I'm sure that members of the public would have seen them.
"The victim currently remains in hospital and is awaiting surgery to an extreme eye injury which has lead to the fracture of his socket. The level of violence used is unprecedented for this borough and we believe that the motive for this horrendous crime is purely for financial gain, and the attackers thought there was cash within the property.
"We continue to appeal for information regarding a silver car the suspects may have used.
"I must stress that this appears to be an isolated incident, and such cases are thankfully rare. However, this serious attack is now subject of a meticulous enquiry whilst we work to support individuals affected by the events and the local community. Officers are currently conducting high visibility patrols and speaking to residents to answer their concerns."
Anyone with information is urged to call the incident room on 020 8649 3159; Or if you wish to remain anonymous call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
August 18, 2014