Check Your Gas Appliances Before Winter

Plea from Wimbledon parents

The Wimbledon-based parents of a 31-year-old woman who died from carbon monoxide poisoning have issued a heartfelt plea during Gas Safety Week.

Avril and Gordon Samuel are endeavouring to raise awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide following the tragic death of their daughter Katie Haines in 2010.

This week is Gas Safety Week and they say that, with the onset of the cold weather, now is the time for gas appliances to be checked and chimneys swept.

Mr and Mrs Samuel, from Alwyne Road, helped set up the Katie Haines Memorial Trust to work with organisations who can help educate and raise awareness of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

It is estimated that up to 50 people die and over 4,000 people are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisioning in the UK each year, although the figure could be much higher.

Some of the symptoms of mild carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, sore throat, dry cough and nausea, all of which could easily be confused with viral cold and flu infections, food poisoning or general tiredness. It is known as the "Silent Killer".

Katie died at her home in Wokingham just two months after her wedding to Richard Haines.

September 11, 2012

Related links
Related Links

Katie Haines Memorial Trust