Colliers Wood Gets Arty
First Spring Arts Festival Takes Place Soon
The first Colliers Wood Spring Arts Festival, offering a wide-ranging series of events, will be getting underway on Saturday (April 21) with a ukele festival.
The festival, which runs until Friday May 11, will also feature art, drumming, poetry, ballet, photography, fabric work, cabaret and singing.
Entries are now being taken for the festival's photography competition, with £150 worth of prizes for the winners.
All the photographs will be displayed at the "Pop Up Gallery" at the Johmard Centre, 65-67 Colliers Wood High Street from 2.30pm on April 28, and the judges' decision will be made at 5.30pm.
Send to your entries to Eddison White, the local estate agents who are sponsoring the competition. Either via email to email@example.com or drop in to the Colliers Wood office at 34 Christchurch Road.
There are two age categories, adult and under 18's, so do specify. Prizes are for "The best of Colliers Wood" pictures and images showing "The worst of Colliers Wood".
An exhibition of works by local artists will also take place at the Pop Up Gallery on April 28. If you want to be involved, bring your artworks along for display at 2pm. so that there's time to display them before the doors open to the public at 2.30pm.
You may sell your artworks to prospective buyers, but it would be appreciated if you gave 10% of the proceedings to the Colliers Wood Arts Festival to help cover costs.
The Arts Festival programme so far is:
Saturday 21 April:
- Colliers Wood's 3rd. Ukelele Festival from 7pm to 11pm @ the Colliers Wood Community Centre. Refreshments and bar. £5 entrance. To book www.collywoodukes.com
Tuesday 24 April:
- Oliver "Sing-a -Long" with sub-titles for all ages at 7pm at the Donald Hope Library. Free - but booking essential. Tel. 0208 274 5799.
Saturday 28 April:
- African drumming workshop from 11.30a, to 12.30pm for all ages with master drummer Sebastian Uhurlu @ St. Joseph's Hall in Park Road. £5 per person. (and May 5 and 12)
- Pop Up Art Gallery at the Johmard Centre with an exhibition of paintings from local artists; a photographic competition with £150 prize money donated by local estate agents Eddison White - the theme is "The best and the worst of Colliers Wood" - and Traditional Arts including Rangoli patterns with flowers and rice and Mehendi - henna hand painting from 2.30pm-5.30pm.
- The Roy Valenti Jazz Band will play from 8.30 p.m. at the Prince pub.
Saturday 5 May:
- Free taster ballet class with Gemma Goody for young children from 2 pm on Saturday at the Johmard Centre @ 65-67 the High Street.
- Fabric Workshop from 2.30pm to 4.30pm @ Johmard Centre with Marianne Zeck - £5 per adult and £2.50 per child.
- Cabaret Night from 7.30pm @ St. Joseph's Hall in Park Road with local musicians, singers, poets, storytellers. Refreshments available. £5 entrance.
Thursday 10 May:
- Poetry and Story-Telling for all ages from 7pm at the Donald Hope Library. Perform your own poetry and you could win a prize of £25. Free.
Friday 11 May:
- Sangerstevne Concert with the Colliers Wood Chorus and guest choirs
Take Twenty, a jazz vocal ensemble, and Coro Armonia Casorate, a chamber choir from Italy. From 7pm. at Christ Church. To book www.collierswoodchorus.org.uk.
April 16, 2012