Two More Arrests in Parsons Green Explosion Investigation

Five men now being held in connection with terror attack on tube

Another two men have been arrested this Wednesday morning (20 September) in connection with the ongoing investigation into the Parsons Green terrorist attack.

The latest arrests were made in Newport, South Wales with a 48-year-old man and a 30-year-old man held under section 41 of the Terrorism Act after officers executed a warrant in the early hours.

The operation took place at a different address from where the arrest of a 25-year-old man took place on Tuesday evening. Searches at the two addresses in Newport are ongoing.

The arrests were carried out by officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command, supported by colleagues from Gwent Police and the Welsh Extremism and Counter Terrorism Unit (WECTU).

Two other men who were arrested on Saturday remain in police custody. An 18-year-old man was arrested by Kent Police in the port area of Dover and a warrant for his further detention has been granted by Westminster Magistrates' Court until 23 September.

A 21-year-old man was arrested outside a fried chicken shop in Hounslow and a warrant for his further detention was until 21 September.

Searches at two addresses in Surrey continue and are expected to last some days. The search at a commercial property in Hounslow has now concluded.

30 people are now known to have been injured during the attack, in which an improvised explosive device was detonated on a tube train at Parsons Green Underground Station at around 8.20am on Friday, 15 September.

Commander Dean Haydon, head of the Met Counter Terrorism Command, said: "This continues to be a fast-moving investigation. A significant amount of activity has taken place since the attack on Friday. We now have five men in custody and searches are continuing at four addresses. Detectives are carrying out extensive inquiries to determine the full facts behind the attack.

"We anticipate that the searches will take some days to complete and may cause further disruption. However, it is important that we continue with these searches and I'd like to thank all those affected for their support, patience and cooperation."
He added: "As police and our partners do all we can to confront the threat, public vigilance remains as vital as ever.

"We urge the public to report any suspicious activity to the police by calling us, in confidence, on 0800 789 321, or in an emergency by dialling 999.

"We are asking the public to look out for anything that seems out of place, unusual or just doesn't seem to fit in with day-to-day life. It may be nothing, but if you see or hear anything that could be terrorist-related trust your instincts, then act, and call us."

Detectives from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command are continuing to urge anyone with information about the terrorist attack to contact police.

Anyone with footage or images from the incident is urged to upload them at UK Police Image Appeal where they will be looked at by investigators.

Anyone with information is urged to call the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321 or, in an emergency, always call 999.


September 18, 2017