Advanced warning to motorists of likely increase in traffic jams
photo Andrew Wilson
Further maintenance work is requiring a series of daytime closures of Hammersmith Bridge over the February half term. Motorists will be diverted via Chiswick Bridge and Putney Bridge but during previous closures there were significant traffic delays in surrounding areas.
The work is being carried out by Hammersmith and Fulham Council and Transport for London (TfL)
Hammersmith Bridge be closed to vehicles at times between Saturday 10 and Sunday 18 February 2018.
The closures will be completed in stages and temporary diversion routes will be in place.
Saturday 10 February to Sunday 18 Febuary 2018
Hammersmith Bridge will be closed in both directions from 8am to 6pm on:
Saturday 10 February
Sunday 11 February
Monday 12 February
Hammersmith Bridge will be closed to northbound traffic from 8am to 6pm on:
Tuesday 13 February
Wednesday 14 February
Thursday 15 February
Friday 16 February
Hammersmith Bridge will be closed in both directions from 8am Saturday 17 February and re-open as normal from 6pm on Sunday 18 February 2018.
The closures will mean journey times may increase on the surrounding roads and towards other bridges, including Chiswick Bridge and Putney Bridge.
The following bus routes are diverted or stop short of their normal destination. You can either walk across the bridge or use one of the diverted buses.
Saturday 10 February to Monday 12 February & Saturday 17 February and Sunday 18 February:
Most buses are diverted in both directions via Lonsdale Road, Barnes Bridge station, Mortlake, Chiswick Bridge and A4 Great West Road and serve:
* Stops J and K in Castelnau, south of the bridge, for interchange with routes 33, 209, 419 and 485
*All stops on diversion
* Stops S and T in Hammersmith Bridge Road, near St Paul's Church, for customers walking across the bridge
* Hammersmith bus station as normal
Some route 72 buses from Roehampton may finish south of the bridge at Castelnau, near Lonsdale Road (stop J) and not continue to Hammersmith or East Acton. Please check with the bus driver before boarding.
Tuesday 13 February to Friday 16 February:
Buses towards Roehampton will travel as normal via Hammersmith Bridge. Buses towards East Action will be on the diversion listed above.
Routes 33, 209 and 485
* The first stop is stop K in Castelnau, near Lonsdale Road
* The last stop is stop J in Castelnau, near Lonsdale Road
* Towards Hammersmith, the last stop is a temporary stop on the north side of Lonsdale Road, east of The Swedish School; buses run via the full length of Verdun Road and do not serve Howsman Road or Kilmington Road
* Towards Richmond, the first stop is a temporary stop on the north side of Lonsdale Road, east of The Swedish School; buses serve Kilmington Road and Howsman Road as normal
You can either:
* Walk across the bridge, to/from stops S or T in Hammersmith Bridge Road, near St Paul's Church (served by route 72) or to/from Hammersmith bus station
* Change at stops J or K in Castelnau to/from route 72 which is diverted via Chiswick Bridge
Cyclists will be able to cross the bridge if they dismount. One footway will be open during the works.
Pedestrians will be able to cross the bridge as normal throughout the works. One footway will be open during the works. A safe walking route will be clearly signposted.
February 2, 2018