Following the massive fire earlier this month
Battersea Arts Centre will receive
£1 million funding from Government to help the Centre continue with important redevelopment work, following the devastating fire on March 13th.
Chancellor George Osborne said: "People across London and beyond were sad to hear about the recent fire at the Battersea Arts Centre. And we are today making an additional £1 million contribution to help restore the centre to its former glory so that it can continue its great work in showcasing arts and culture to 100,000 people each year."
Through Arts Council funding the Government has already contributed more than £4.5 million to support the redevelopment of this important centre.
Earlier this month a blaze broke out in the Grade II-listed venue and destroyed most of the Grand Hall. Restoration work was already under way prior to the fire.
Announcing the pledge yesterday (March 23rd) Culture Secretary Sajid Javid, said: "I was terribly sad to hear about the fire at the Arts Centre but was deeply relieved that no one was hurt. I have visited the centre to see the damage and met the very dedicated team of staff who have launched an impressive fundraising campaign and are doing everything to carry on as far as possible.
"The Arts Centre are having to divert all their available resources into dealing with the aftermath and so I am pleased to be able to confirm that Government will provide £1 million towards the ongoing redevelopment work to help get this important south London venue back on track."
Chief Secretary to the Treasury Danny Alexander said: "This is a building of cultural importance so it is right that the Government is contributing to its restoration and doing what it can to get this venue back up and running so that it can continue its important work."
March 24, 2015