Forum Topic

RAYNESFIELD  - VICTORY FOR THE RESIDENTS

The residents of Raynesfield have fought a successful campaign and should be very proud that they have forced MOPAC to change its strategy.You quote Mr Greenhalgh as saying, "I was not happy about how they (the residents) had been treated and I was not prepared to see key workers (...) forced to move out of their homes".  But it was his policy to sell off these residential properties so he, and MOPAC, are therefore responsible for how the residents have been treated. Also, the picture of Deputy Mayor Stephen Greenhalgh with Conservative Councillors Lewis-Lavender, which accompanies the article, smacks of blatant political opportunism. Cllr Gilli Lewis-Lavender spoke of the necessity of selling off Raynesfield at the Council Meeting on the 19th November. I am glad that the motion, calling on Boris Johnson and MOPAC to halt the evictions, was carried, although not one Conservative councillor supported it. So why is she in this picture? And what help has MP Stephen Hammond given? I have not found one tenant who says they were helped by him.There are still several issues that MOPAC needs to clarify:Firstly, MOPAC must allow those who were forced to move out of their flats to return to their homes. Secondly, the tenants need to be given long term security, with assured tenancies.Finally, MOPAC needs to compensate residents for van hire, storage costs, utility reconnection fees and so on.  On the day before evictions were due to begin, some residents took their furniture to the tip or to charity shops; some now lack the basics, like beds and fridges.  Lib Dem Assembly members, Caroline Pidgeon and Stephen Knight, will continue to put pressure on the Mayor of London and MOPAC until these points have been answered.  Raynesfield residents know that I will carry on supporting them as I have done in over the last few stressful months.

Mary-Jane Jeanes ● 3405d0 Comments

</