Wimbledon Out Of FA Cup After Stevenage Defeat

Wimbledon 0 v Stevenage 2

Related Links

AFC Wimbledon

Wimbledon 3 v Kettering 2

Ebbsfleet 2 v Wimbledon 3

Barrow 2 v Wimbledon 0

Altrincham 0 v Wimbledon 2

Wimbledon 0 v Ebbsfleet 2

Wimbledon 0 v Darlington 2

Basingstoke 0 v Dons 1

Wimbledon 1 v Gateshead 0

Wrexham 1 v Wimbledon 2

Mansfield 2 v Wimbledon 5

Dons 1 v Forest Green 1

Wimbledon 3 v Cambridge 0

Kidderminster 2 v Dons 0

Wimbledon 2 v Crawley 1

Luton 3 v Wimbledon 0

Wimbledon 4 v Bath 0

Kettering 1 v Wimbledon 2

Wimbledon 2 v Newport 2

Eastbourne 2 v Dons 3

Rushden 1 v Wimbledon 0

Wimbledon 3 v Tamworth 0

Wimbledon 2 v Histon 0

Southport 0 v Wimbledon 1


Sign up for our free newsletter

Comment on this story on the

Wimbledon were knocked out of this season’s FA Cup with a 2-0 defeat against Stevenage on Saturday (27 November).

It was only when the Dons switched to a 4-4-2 formation in the second half that they briefly troubled last season’s Conference champions but, just as they were threatening to get back level, they suffered the heartbreak of a late goal that confirmed defeat.

Stevenage’s Jay O’Shea had already fired into the side netting before the visitors took the lead after 24 minutes. Steve Gregory was penalised for a foul on the edge of the area and, with goalkeeper Seb Brown badly positioned behind his wall, Josh Walker fired in off the post.

The visitors went close to repeating the trick later in the half when Ed Harris found himself going into the book after being beaten by his man on the edge of the area. This time, however, Walker’s free-kick went over the bar.

Brown partially redeemed himself for his earlier error with a spectacular full-length save early in the second half when Lawrie Wilson’s shot took a wicked deflection off Chris Bush.

The Dons replaced the disappointing Christian Jolley with Rashid Yussuff just before the hour mark and switched to a 4-4-2 formation, with Luke Moore partnering Danny Kedwell up front.

First Kedwell burst past his man and drove a low cross into the box that was scrambled clear by the Stevenage defence for a corner.

And then Kedwell again beat his man and crossed but Luke Moore was unable to get over his header and it went tamely over.

But, with Dons tails finally up, Harris went in on his man with a foot high. Referee Stroud played advantage and Wilson put in a deep cross to substitute Yemi Odubade whose weak effort still had enough on it to beat Brown at the far post.

To compound the Dons’ misery, the referee then handed Harris his second booking and the Dons were forced to finish the game with ten men.

Kedwell still had a chance for a late consolation, but the Dons were left to confront defeat and try to pick themselves up for forthcoming League matches.

However, following the postponement of Luton v Wimbledon on Tuesday (November 30), the match at York on Saturday (December 4) has also been cancelled because of the weather.

Attendance: 3,633

Wimbledon: Brown, Hatton, Bush, Gregory, Yakubu, Harris, Wellard (Main 79), S. Moore, Kedwell, Jolley (Yussuff 56), L. Moore. Subs not used: Turner, Jackson, Franks, Nwokeji, Minshull.

Booked: Harris 42, 83.

Sent off: Harris 83.

Stevenage: Day,  Wilson, Laird, Ashton (Udubade 71), Roberts, Beardsley (Dixon 90), Mousinho, O’Shea (Bridges 76), Bostwick, Henry, Walker. Subs not used: Charles, Bayes, Foster, Long.

Goalscorers: Walker 24, Udubade 81.

Referee: Keith Stroud (Fareham).

Rob Crane

December 2, 2010