Police Warning After Spate of Burglaries

Six offences committed in a fortnight

Participate

Sign up for our free newsletter

Comment on this story on the

Police have issued a warning to householders after a spate of burglaries in the Abbey ward area of Wimbledon.

There have been six offences in the past two weeks, with the peak time for the burglaries being between 2pm-8pm.

PC Pete Beesley said: "At one offence a black male was seen. The most common method of entry is by forcing rear windows."

He has issued the following prevention methods:

•  Lock all external doors and windows and set your burglar alarm (if you have one).
•  Fit a good automatic dead-latch cylinder lock (rim lock) and a good 5- lever mortice deadlock (conforming to British standards) to your front door.
•  Consider fitting London and Birmingham bars to reinforce your door frame
•  Do not leave valuables lying around i.e. car keys as burglars are taking your goods away in your car.
•  Consider security marking your property and registering items on line at www.immobilise.com
•  Secure your garage and shed as you would your home.
•  Secure items in your shed or garage to an anchor point.

He added: "If you are unsure about the suitability of your locks or would like security advice or a visit, please contact your Safer Neighbourhoods Team who will be able to advise you. This service is free so please use it."

Residents can also borrow a property marking kit by getting in touch with Lee Roberts on 020 8649 3213 or email lee.roberts@met.police.uk.

The warning comes just a few days after police in neighbouring Merton Park said burglaries in their ward had been reduced 28% in the past two years - which was the greated reduction in Merton.

Police said there were 85 offences classified as burglaries in the Merton Park ward in 2010, which included offences at non-residential as well as residential properties, plus attempted burglaries. This compared with 120 similar offences in 2008. There were actually only 43 "substantive" burglaries in the ward in 2010.

A police spokesman said the reduction was thanks to the combined efforts of residents, residents' associations, the ward panels and the Safer Neighbourhoods Team.

January 9, 2011