Merton Returns To Usual Business

Shops remove boarding from windows

Related Links

Colliers Wood rallies after unrest

Free tramlink this weekend

Participate

Sign up for our free newsletter

Comment on this story on the

 

Merton is returning to 'business as usual' after disturbancies, including arson and looting, hit the borough last week.

Wimbledon town centre shops which were boarded up as a precaution last week - including Elys and the Centre Court shopping centre - have had the boards taken off.

But Borough Police Commander Dick Wolfenden says although the area remains quiet, the investigative momentum is continuing.

Last week, police made seven arrests in the borough after Monday night's unrest in Colliers Wood.

Mr Wolfenden (left) said he has been carrying out an extended tour of evening and night duties across the borough.

He said on Sunday (August 14): "Last night I predominantly patrolled within both the Mitcham town centre and the Colliers Wood areas and I continue to receive excellent feedback as to our local community policing needs.

"The investigative momentum has in no way diminished. Search and arrest warrants are being executed at all times of day and night as fresh evidence and intelligence continues to come in.

"We are very keen for Merton's communities to; recognise that Merton's residents do actually live in one of the safest boroughs in London; steadily return to 'business as usual' and, as normality resumes, continue the tremendous amount of active and positive citizenship that we have witnessed from so many individuals and local groups over the past few days."

August 15, 2011